I got this idea from Janine Russell, another blogger I happened across this week (this has been such a fun project). Going to write this, and then see what inspired photos I might come up with.
50. 12 is my favorite number. First because I was born on the 12th; second because I like even numbers. (Notice I’m starting with 50 rather than 1?)
49. I once called my dad an animaniac (he had this uncanny ability to collect animals who would mate and make babies). While I don’t have all the exotic pets he did (turtles, tortoises, goldfish, koi, iguana, chameleons, snakes, guinea pigs, cats, dogs, finches, canaries, parrots, parakeets), I do have way more than I ever imagined (4 dogs, 2 cats, 4 finches).
48. In 8th grade I wanted to be a photojournalist.
47. I’m afraid of heights, although I did learn how to push past it to climb some Mayan ruins in Belize and learned how to rock climb at my local gym.
46. The first movie I cried at was in 3rd grade, Benji the Hunted.
45. Favorite gum? Orbitz Cinnamint. I think the first thing I ever shoplifted was Bubbalicious.
44. I like to write down what I do during the day in my calendar after I do it. So I pencil in future appointments, and when the day comes I fill in the rest of the day. Sort of like a diary, except I don’t write my feelings down.
42. I just found out how to make a vanilla steamer on Pinterest, it is embarrassingly easy. Not sure I’ll ever buy one again.
41. Twilight. I read all the books in a week. Maybe less. Yeah probably less.
39. Ex-Collector: I’ve collected slugs, lady bugs, stickers, rocks, shells, stamps, coins, watches, jackets, & hoodies. I still have a thing for jackets and hoodies however I am much better about donating them when there are too many.
38. I loved pen pals growing up. Sara was my first pen pal. I also wrote my cousin Emily, my Aunt Edie, and friend Naomi for many years (and there are plenty of others I wrote). I still love receiving mail.
37. I used to love racing my dad’s wheelchair around in the garage. My skills were put to the test in sixth grade when we all were given some obstacles to get through in a wheelchair (and a hospital chair with the awkward arms mind you) and I think only 2 boys beat me.
36. My pretend friends growing up were Jilly, Angie, and Flakey. I am not sure what the y/ie ending was all about but my favorite doll’s name is Susie.
35. The boy I crushed on for the longest (on and off from 1st grade through high school) broke up with me after 2 weeks, maybe 3.
34. I tease that I’d like to buy our dog Ming a mini goat to herd. Except I’m kind of not teasing.
33. The first C I ever received was in math in high school. Thank goodness for a good math teacher like Mr. Hellwege, I was back to As in six months.
32. I used to like Pepsi better but in the last 5 years or so I now favor Coke.
31. My first actor crush was Jared Letto.
30. Turning 12 was a bigger deal than turning 13; turning 20 was more impressive than 21. See #50.
29. Definitely thought I would have kids by now. Never thought I’d consider not having kids.
27. Cinnamon makes hot chocolate taste so much better.
26. There’s a leak in our ceiling in the bathroom that sprung this week, I’m thankful the water drops are going into the bathtub.
25. I once could bench press 110lbs.
24. I don’t like to have regrets, but I do wish as a kid that I had lived more in the present rather than for the future, although I understand why I did that.
23. Last weekend I interviewed my mom about her thoughts on alcohol and drugs for a school assignment. It surprised me there were so many questions I had never asked her before.
21. One of my fantasies is to become a car mechanic. Not because I like cars but because it costs so much to fix cars and an all female mechanic shop could be a great hit.
20. It is not too helpful when you get nervous for a piano recital at church and your hands shake.
19. My favorite college roommate’s name was Jenny Jones (she’s since married so it has changed).
18. Actresses I’ve quietly wished were my friends throughout my life: Shirley Temple, Kelly Martin, Jennifer Garner, Claire Danes, Katie Holmes, Natalie Portman, & Sandra Bullock.
17. I briefly dated musician Mat Kearney in high school, which probably only consisted of going to one high school dance and talking on the phone. And I drew a really great picture of him with pencil.
16. Teleporting would be my superpower of choice.
15. My favorite pen is Dr. Grip’s Center of Gravity.
14. I got a pair of glasses last year that I like so much that I now wear my contact lenses only about 50% of the time. My eye doc approves.
13. In 2000 I had an emergency appendectomy; made sure to tell them I was an organ donor because we were studying living wills in my social work class.
12. First apartment I rented was in Portland, Oregon on 12th and Columbia. 12 being cool and all.
11. My childhood dentist was so good that I didn’t even know people were afraid to go to the dentist until I was much older.
10. Favorite recess activities: tether ball and four square.
9. One of my least favorite chores growing up was pulling weeds and working in the yard. Now I mostly enjoy it.
8. From grade school until 10th grade there was a girl on my soccer team who was stunning, I loved to watch her play soccer and she had an infectious giggle. I later would run into her after the Thurston High School Shootings at a memorial in 1998. I soon considered her one of my dearest friends, only to have to say goodbye in 1999 when she died from cystic fibrosis. Miss you Angie.
7. I’m allergic to alcohol but even more so to Erythromycin, doctor said it could be life or death if I ever took that prescription again.
6. Blue is my favorite color, although I wonder if purple would have been if it hadn’t been both my mom and sister’s favorite color. I just couldn’t have the same favorite color as the two of them.
5. My first boyfriend I would find out years to come was sentenced to nearly 11 years in prison.
3. I sit the same way my Gong gong (Grandpa in Cantonese) did, left leg bent with foot on the seat with the right leg hanging normally from chair.
2. Recent favorite side dish: Chex mix.
1. First word I spoke was bird; first dance class was tap dance; first sport I played was soccer; first kiss was at church camp; purchased my first car before I had my driver’s license; first international flight was to Thailand; bought my first house when I was 24; first published co-edited book in 2008.